In this article:
A referral is an integral part of providing care to your patient. Referrals can be added and edited from within the Patient Details screen.
Before you add a referral for a patient, you should first add the referring doctor to your Address Book as a Practitioner.
Please see the Address Book article for instructions on adding a new Practitioner to your Address Book.
If the referring doctor is a GP, you should ensure that the General Practitioner speciality is set for this doctor within their Address Book record. This will automatically populate the default 12 month GP referral duration into the referral when added for a patient.
To add a referral:
- Open the patient's file to Patient Details.
- Scroll down to find the Referrals table.
- Click the + button to open the new referral window.
- Search for the referring doctor within your address book.
- If you have a referral document, e.g. a referral letter, click into the File field and select the file on your computer that you wish to upload.
- Enter the Issued On and Started On dates for this referral.
- Enter the referral duration. You can tick the Indefinite checkbox to make the referral indefinite.
- Once all the details are entered, press Save.
Note: if you add a referral for a patient and the referring doctor does not already exist within your address book, Gentu will advise that no matching practitioners were found when you search the practitioner's name.
If this occurs, you can press the Tab key on your keyboard, and Gentu will prompt you to enter the details of the new referring practitioner within the referral window itself.
Referrals can be edited at any time by simply opening the Patient Details screen and clicking on the referral in question. Amend the details here, then press Save to save the changes.
You can delete a referral by opening the referral from Patient Details and clicking the Delete button.
Please note: Gentu will not allow you to delete a referral if it has been used on an invoice.
If you encounter an error when adding a referral, please see the Error when adding Referral article for troubleshooting steps.