In this article:
Occasionally, Gentu might be unsuccessful in transmitting a claim.
There can be a number of causes, including:
- Incorrect or missing details on the claim invoice,
- a Medicare server outage,
- general network connectivity issues in your Gentu environment.
In most cases, Gentu will circumvent any possible errors by validating the data you enter into Gentu, or by showing you a warning that prevents you from sending the invoice. See the two examples below.
To check for claim sending errors:
- Open Reports > Claims Control
- Check for the presence of an "Error" notification in the Sent column.
- To view further details, click on the Error link.
Gentu will take you to a new page and show you the errors which prevented the claim from sending.
After fixing the errors, you can resubmit the claim from this window by clicking Resend Claim.
There are a number of possible errors which can occur to stop a claim from sending. Below are some examples. Note that this list is not exhaustive.
This is a generic, catch-all message which indicates that the claim is missing certain data elements required by Medicare to process the claim.
If you receive an Invalid format for data item error, it is recommended that you check all of the following details:
- Patient's/account holder's details (Surname, first name, DOB, Medicare card number) are all entered correctly.
- Ensure there are no unusual, non-alphanumeric characters or symbols in the patient's Surname or First Name - for example brackets, hyphens, asterisks or punctuation marks.
- Are the patient's referral details correct, including the starting date and duration?
- Is the referring doctor's provider number entered correctly within the Address Book?
- Are all dates entered correctly and complete, such as the item service date on the invoice, and the patient's referral dates and DOB?
- For ECLIPSE claims, is the Facility ID for the hospital entered correctly? (You can find a list of Facility IDs at the bottom of this Health.gov.au page.)
- For BUPA claims, is the Payee ID entered correctly under Settings > Health Funds > BUPA > Practitioner Details? Payee IDs cannot contain non-alphanumeric characters.
If you cannot determine what is causing the error, please contact Gentu Support and we would be happy to assist.
This error refers specifically to DVA patients, who need to have a valid DVA number and associated details entered into their Patient Details tab. Ensure that each patient's DVA number is correct, and that the name on their DVA card is listed correctly. Clicking Verify may correctly update the name on the card if the other details are listed correctly. Once you have confirmed the details for each patient, re-send the claim.
This error will occur if the patient's gender has not been set in Patient Details. You can fix this error by opening the patient's file, setting their gender, saving, and then re-sending the claim.
This is a communication error which is usually caused by a Medicare service outage. When Gentu is unable to send the claim at all after several attempts, it will return this error message. Simply select Resend Claim to retransmit.
This error can occur if an item service date is more than two years prior to the current date.
Medicare has a two year grace period for accepting claims. If the service was provided longer than two years ago, it is not possible to claim a rebate for that service.
If you are sending a claim containing diagnostic services, you must have entered a valid LSPN against the invoice's site of service (see the Provider Numbers and Sites of Service article for instructions on adding an LSPN to a site of service).
Gentu will return this error if the LSPN is not valid.