In this article:
Gentu lets you print out patient labels with just a few clicks. In future, we'll be releasing even more label templates.
- Gentu recommends using a DYMO LabelWriter to print labels. As such, this article covers the use of DYMO LabelWriters only. Settings may differ if you are using another label printer, and Gentu Support may be unable to assist.
Before you begin printing labels from Gentu, you will need to install and configure the DYMO LabelWriter software on the computer(s) you wish to print labels from.
If you need assistance with installing and configuring your DYMO LabelWriter, please contact your nominated IT support technician for assistance. Gentu Support is not qualified to assist with the installation of third party software or hardware.
- We do not recommend using Internet Explorer to access and use Gentu. In particular, Internet Explorer does not support label printing from Gentu. We recommend using Chrome or Safari for the optimal Gentu experience.
- Access the patient's file that you wish to label for.
- In the top right hand corner you will see the Print button.
- Click the Print button and select Label.
- The Label window will open.
In the Label window you can select the label template you wish to print, from the Templates drop down menu.
The Preview pane will show a preview of how the printed label will appear.
- The Address label will print a simple label showing the patient's full name and address.
- The Patient Details label will print a summary of the patient's details, including their Medicare and Health Fund details, and information about their referral (below).
Once you've selected the template, you can also select the number of copies to print (between 1 and 999), and the label size.
Gentu offers two label sizes to print in:
- DYMO Label 99010 (89mm x 28mm) - small
- DYMO Label 99012 (89mm x 36mm) - large
Select the relevant label size based on the labels you use with your DYMO printer.
Next, press Print.
Upon pressing Print, your browser's print dialog window will open.
Depending on the browser you're using, the settings may differ slightly. Please see below for the relevant settings dependent on your browser.
In the print dialog window, find the Destination heading on the left and click Change.
In the resulting window, you will see a list of available print destinations on your computer and/or network. Select the DYMO LabelWriter.
This will return you to the print dialog box.
Next, select the paper size from the Paper size drop down menu on the left. The paper size you should select depends on whether you're using the large or small size labels in your DYMO printer.
- DYMO Label 99010 (89mm x 28mm): select the 30321 Large Address paper size.
- DYMO Label 99012 (89mm x 36mm): select the 30321 Large Address paper size.
Finally, press Print to confirm and print out the label.
Note: you should not change the number of Copies in Chrome's print dialog box - it should always be set to "1". If you need to print multiple copies of a label, you should select the number of copies within Gentu's Label preview window. Changing the number of copies in Chrome's print dialog box will multiply this number by the number of copies selected in Gentu, which can result in accidentally printing far too many copies and wasting labels.
When you select Print in the Gentu label preview window, a new tab will open showing the label, and then the print dialog box will open.
From the Printer drop down menu in the print dialog box, select the DYMO LabelWriter.
Note: The print dialog window will display the label preview in portrait mode, and the "portrait" orientation will be preselected. This is normal/expected. Please do not change the orientation to landscape, as the label will not print correctly.
Next, select the paper size from the Paper Size drop down menu. The paper size you should select depends on whether you're using the large or small size labels in your DYMO printer.
- DYMO Label 99010 (89mm x 28mm): Select 30321 Large Address > 99012 Large Address.
- DYMO Label 99012 (89mm x 36mm): select 30321 Large Address > 99012 Large Address.
Leave the Scale at 93%.
Finally, press Print to confirm and print out the label.
Note: you should not change the number of Copies in Safari's print dialog box - it should always be set to "1". If you need to print multiple copies of a label, you should select the number of copies within Gentu's Label preview window. Changing the number of copies in Safari's print dialog box will multiply this number by the number of copies selected in Gentu, which can result in accidentally printing far too many copies and wasting labels.
There are a few things to note when it comes to printing labels from Gentu.
- When you print from your browser, the browser will save the last selected printer/print destination as the default option. Therefore, every time you print a label, you should double check that the DYMO LabelWriter is selected as the printer/print destination. This also means that when you next print a letter, you will need to change the printer/print destination back to your default document printer.
- You should never change the number of Copies in the print dialog window - it should always remain "1". If you need to print multiple copies of a label, you should instead select the number of copies in Gentu's label preview window. If the number of copies selected in Gentu is more than 1, then changing the number of copies in the print dialog window will multiply the two numbers and print the total amount of copies. For example, if you select to print 3 copies in the Gentu label preview window, and then select to print 3 copies in the print dialog window, your LabelWriter will print 9 labels (3 x 3).
> Can I print labels for multiple patients at once?
At the moment it's only possible to print a label via Patient Details, so it is not possible to print labels for multiple patients at once. However, we do hope to introduce this functionality in future.
> Can I print labels for my address book contacts / referring doctors?
You certainly can. Please see the Address Book Labels article for more information.
> How do I configure my DYMO LabelWriter as a printer in Gentu? / How do I install a new printer for use in Gentu?
You may have noticed there is nowhere in Gentu where you can install/configure a printer. This is because Gentu, being a fully web-based application, prints by utilising your web browser's printer drivers. So it is not necessary, or even possible, to install a printer for/within the Gentu application. As long as the printer is installed to your local computer, i.e. as long as it is visible within Settings > Devices (Windows) or System Preferences > Printers & Scanners (Mac), then Gentu will be able to print to that device.
If you need assistance with installing or configuring your DYMO LabelWriter, please seek assistance from your nominated IT support technician.
> How do I change the default paper size for my DYMO printer?
Changing the default paper size for the LabelWriter can make the process of printing a bit easier. You may wish to perform an online search for something like 'Change default paper size Windows' or 'Change default paper size Mac OSX'.
> Can I print labels to a normal (A4 document) printer?
It may be possible for you to print labels to a regular A4 document printer (i.e. not a DYMO LabelWriter), however it would likely be necessary to configure and tweak your printer settings to allow this - for instance, changing the print scale and/or the paper size in the print dialog box. Gentu Support may be able to provide guidance or tips for doing so, however as Gentu is designed to print to the DYMO LabelWriter, you may have varying degrees of success.
> Gentu says 'Your document is being generated...' but nothing happens. How do I fix this?
If you see a message saying 'Your document is being generated, please do not close or leave the page', but nothing happens; it is recommended that you perform a cache refresh and then try printing the label again.
> Can I set up my own label paper size?
Yes, as long as the custom paper size matches the dimensions (in mm) of your LabelWriter's label size.
Please see the linked articles for instructions on how to do this on Mac or Windows. Again, please note that when creating custom paper sizes, the paper size should match the dimensions of the labels. Please speak to your nominated IT support technician for assistance with configuring custom paper sizes.
> Which DYMO LabelWriter model is recommended for use with Gentu?
Most DYMO LabelWriter models should work as expected with Gentu labels; provided that they are capable of printing to the sizes specified (99010 & 99012).