In this article:
The following article describes the workflow for refunding and subsequently adjusting an account in Gentu.
See also the FAQ section at the bottom of this article.
If you have refunded an item and the outstanding amount needs to be written off, you can adjust the item fee to nullify the outstanding balance.
Usually you would adjust an item to decrease its fee, for example if the item was overcharged.
It is also possible to adjust an item's fee to increase it, even if the invoice has already been paid.
Alternatively, in some circumstances, it is possible to void the item entirely. Voiding an item would be useful in a scenario where, for instance, you accidentally billed and charged an item that should not have been billed, and you need to nullify it on the invoice.
Adjust an item
- Open the invoice.
- Click the Adjust icon corresponding to the item number you wish to adjust.
- The Adjust Item window will open.
- Gentu will automatically enter the figure needed to write off the balance of this item.
- Alternatively, you can manually key the adjustment amount into the Adjust field.
- Press Save to apply the adjustment, then Save to close the invoice.
The adjustment will be recorded under the Adjustment Summary for that invoice.
Void an item
Voiding an item essentially nullifies it, by preventing Gentu from counting it as outstanding/owing.
It is not always possible to void an item. If you need to void an item but you cannot see the item void button; you should instead adjust the item's fee down to $0.
- Open the invoice.
- Click the X icon next to the Adjust icon.
- Gentu will present you with the Void Item window.
- Enter a note (i.e. the reason for voiding this item), then press Void.
- Save out of the invoice.
Note that you cannot save an invoice which contains no item numbers. If there is only one item on the invoice and you need to void the item; you should instead void the entire invoice and start over.
In some cases you may need to void an item on an invoice which was already sent as an online health fund claim. You will not be able to void the item, so you should instead adjust its fee to $0 and save the account.
If an invoice is not committed (i.e. it has no payments against it and has not been sent as an online claim) it can be voided to fully cancel the balance and nullify it.
- Open the Patient's Account tab.
- Select the invoice and press Open.
- Press Void.
- Enter the reference note when prompted, then confirm.
Note: The Void button can be difficult to see. It is in the bottom left-hand corner of the invoice.
If the Void button is greyed out, it means this invoice is Committed and cannot be voided at this time.
If you cannot see the Void button at all, it suggests that your account does not have the appropriate user role permissions allowing you to delete patient accounts. Please see the User Roles article for more information.
This will cancel the invoice, and it will remain in the patient's account tab but no longer be interactive.
If the Void button is greyed out when you open an invoice, it is most likely because the invoice is in a committed state. You can also check the top of the invoice for the presence of a "Committed" banner.
- If the invoice is committed because it has been sent as an online claim; it is not possible to void the invoice. Instead, you must refund any payments, adjust each item balance to $0, then save the invoice to nullify it.
- If the invoice is committed because it has payments made against it, you must refund all payments against the invoice before you will be able to void it.
- If you cannot see the Void button at all, it is most likely that your user account does not have the appropriate permissions enabled to allow you to void invoices. Please speak with your practice administrator if you wish for this permission to be enabled.
> Can I adjust an item without (or before) refunding it?
You cannot adjust an item’s fee down if the item has been fully paid. If you attempt to do so, Gentu will alert you that the final balance cannot be less than $0, and you will be unable to proceed.
> In what scenario would I void an item, and in what scenario would I adjust it?
Examples of scenarios where you would usually adjust an item:
- If you accidentally overcharged the cost of the item.
- If the patient accidentally paid more than they owe.
- Bad debt, i.e. the account holder will not honour the payment.
- If a third party such as Medicare, DVA or a private health fund has over- or under-paid the item.
Examples of scenarios where you would usually void an item:
- If you accidentally billed the incorrect item (e.g. billed X instead of Y).
- If you accidentally billed multiple of the same item (e.g. billed X twice instead of once.)
> In what scenario would I void the entire invoice?
Voiding an invoice will nullify all item numbers contained on the invoice, and is not reversible. Generally you would only void an entire invoice under the following circumstances:
- If you accidentally billed the same invoice twice, i.e., a duplicate invoice.
- If you accidentally invoiced the incorrect patient.
Note that you cannot void an invoice which has any payments recorded against it. You will need to refund the invoice in full before Gentu will let you void it.
> I have voided an item and now Gentu won't let me save the invoice. Why not?
If the invoice only contained a single item and you have voided that item, you won't be able to save the invoice. Gentu will not allow you to save an invoice which contains no item numbers. You would need to add at least one other item number to the invoice before you can save out, or you would need to void the entire invoice.
> I can't find the void button for an invoice. Where is it?
To preserve the integrity of billing data, not all user roles may have permission to void invoices. If you're not able to see the void button at the bottom of the invoice screen, you should speak to your Practice Administrator.
> Can I adjust multiple items at once?
Adjustments must be done per item. It is not possible to adjust an entire invoice, i.e. multiple items at once.
> Can I adjust an item to increase the fee?
Yes. For private invoices, you can adjust the fee upwards at any time, regardless of whether the item has been paid or not.
To increase the fee for an item, open the invoice and click the adjust icon to open the adjustment window.
In the Adjust field, enter the amount to increase the item cost by then press Save. The increase will be reflected in the outstanding balance of the invoice.
> Gentu won't let me increase an item's fee. Why not?
If you can open the Adjustment window and type an amount into the Adjust field, but Gentu keeps reverting the Adjust amount to "0.00"; please ensure that you are entering plain numerals only.
If you type in a $ dollar symbol (or any character other than a number) Gentu won't be able to recognise the amount.
> How do refunds and adjustments affect financial reports?
All refunds and adjustments are reflected in Gentu's financial reports (accessible via the Financials panel).
The Banking Report will display refunds made in the selected time period, as well as payments.
In the example above, the Banking Report shows the original payment and the subsequent refund.
The Financial Report will show the original item and charge, as well as any adjustments made, line by line.
For more information on the Financial Report, please see this article.