In this article:
This article is a general how-to for printing from Gentu. We've also included some common printing issues and resolutions below.
Gentu uses your browser to print documents and pages.
This means there is nowhere in Gentu for you to install a printer or configure its settings. Gentu will print using the printer that you have installed locally to your computer.
- If you wish to change the general settings or configuration of your printer, you can do so via the Settings, Control Panel, or System Preferences area on your computer itself. (Please speak to your nominated IT Support technician if you require assistance with this.)
- Gentu does not have any recommendations on specific compatible printer models. As long as you are using a modern printer from a reputable brand, the printer is already installed on your computer, and you can successfully print to it from another application; then you should be able to print to it from Gentu.
When you print from Gentu, the browser's in-built print dialog box will open and prompt you to enter or change any settings as needed.
- In general it is best to make sure that your paper size is set correctly, and that the scale is set to 100%.
- When you print Labels, it is necessary to change your printer settings in the print dialog box so that the correct label printer and label paper size are selected. These settings will then need to be changed back the next time you print another document (such as a letter or an invoice).
- The print dialog box differs from browser to browser. If you cannot find the setting you're looking for at first glance, look for a More Settings, More Options or Advanced area of the print dialog box.
- Alternatively, to view more settings/options for printing, try using the Print using system dialog or equivalent option, which will open your operating system's print dialog window.
The release of Safari version 10.1.2 (and above) have changed how Gentu prints from this browser.
Printing from Gentu in Safari will now require Safari's pop-up blocker setting to be disabled.
Attempting to print while the pop-up blocker is still active will produce an error in Gentu.
Alternatively, you may receive an error which says something to the effect of "You do not have permission to print this document".
The steps used to disable pop-up blockers differ in Safari, depending on which version of macOS you use.
You can check your macOS version by clicking the Apple icon in the far top left hand corner of your screen and selecting About This Mac.
- Navigate to Safari > Preferences.
- Select the Security tab.
- Untick the Block pop-up windows checkbox.
Close the Preferences window to save the changes.
Once complete, you should now be able to print again in Safari.
Please note that the printing behaviour is now slightly different: rather than simply display the print dialogue, Gentu will open the document in a new tab before displaying the print dialogue.
- First, log in to your Gentu.
- Navigate to Safari > Preferences.
- Select the Websites tab.
- Select the Pop-up Windows panel on the left.
- Find gentu.io under the Currently Open Websites heading.
- From the drop down menu, select Allow.
- Close out of the Preferences window to save the changes.
Occasionally you may encounter issues or error messages when printing. We've covered some common issues below.
If you are having trouble printing from Gentu, but there are no error messages or other obvious signs of issues, the recommended solution is to reset your browser cache and try again.
You can find instructions for doing so within the Reset browser cache article.
Please ensure that you are not using Internet Explorer to access Gentu. Internet Explorer is not supported and has several known issues with printing.
When Gentu prints a document, you will usually see a pop up message stating "Your document is being generated - please do not close or leave the page".
Occasionally it might occur that Gentu then becomes stuck in this screen - the print dialog box does not open, and you cannot proceed with printing.
If this occurs and a browser cache reset is not sufficient to fix the issue, the next step is to check for any PDF viewer add-ons or browser extensions that you may have installed.
We recommend disabling any third party PDF viewer extensions.
Please see the links below for instructions on disabling browser extensions:
If you are having specific issues with printing invoices or quotes, please first confirm that you are using a supported browser to access Gentu.
Please note that Internet Explorer is not recommended or supported. Internet Explorer has several known issues with printing, particularly with printing invoices.
We recommend using Chrome or Safari for the optimal Gentu experience.
On rare occasions you may see this error appear when attempting to print a document.
The first thing to do is to narrow down whether the error only occurs for a certain document, or a certain patient.
If this error occurs while printing Labels for Patients or Address Book contacts, please check the patient's or contact's record for any unusual, non-alphanumeric characters, e.g. & * ^ @ - ), within the details that print on the label. For example:
- The patient's/contact's first name and surname
- The address
- The patient's referring doctor name
- The phone number - in particular ensure their phone number field does not contain words (e.g. "or", "and")
If you do find any non-alphanumeric characters in the fields which print on the label, please remove them and then attempt to print the label again.
If you are receiving this error when trying to print all documents for all patients, please contact Gentu Support for further assistance on email@example.com.
If a document does not appear as expected when you print it, it is most likely due to the print settings selected in the print dialog window.
It is recommended that you check the following options:
- Page size - usually A4 when printing documents.
- Scale - should generally be set to 100%.
- "Fit to page" - try enabling and disabling this and testing the print-out.
- Layout / orienation
Please note it is difficult to give specific advice as the settings can vary widely. We recommend that you tweak these settings and use trial and error to see if a resolution can be found.
If you need further assistance with printing issues, please contact our support team on firstname.lastname@example.org.