In some circumstances you may need to correct the details of a patient claim. These claims aren't batched like bulk-bill or DVA claims. Instead they are stored briefly and then transmitted directly to Medicare.
In the event that you have charged incorrect items or submitted the claim against a different patient in error, you should contact Medicare's eBusiness Service Centre on 1800 700 199 as soon as possible and advise them of the details of your claim. They will be able to prevent the claim from being processed further.
Because of the one-way nature of patient claims, it is not possible to reclaim them like you can reclaim bulk bill or health fund claims. If you have been advised by the patient that Medicare rejected the claim, and you wish to resubmit it on the patient's behalf, it will be necessary to zero out the original invoice, and then recreate and re-claim the invoice from scratch.
Here is how you can correct a Patient Claim:
- Temporarily refund any payment made against the invoice.
- Adjust the value of each item on the invoice to $0.00 to void the invoice.
- Create a new invoice with the correct details.
- Pay the refunded amount against the new invoice (ensure you select the same payment type to avoid errors in your banking report).
- Submit the new invoice to Medicare for payment.